Sunday, 14 May 2017

Come Away With Me - Cornwall Staycation

These days, it is rare that we go on family holidays.  I guess it is expected when the kids grow up, get their own careers and move out.  When there's 5 of you working full time, it can be tricky to arrange to have the same week off.  However, in April, we did just that.  After losing our beloved dog in March, we needed something to look forward to as a family, so Mum booked us a lovely house in Marazion, Cornwall for a weeks holiday.  Cornwall will always have a special place in my heart; we had countless holidays there when my brother and I were growing up and I just love being by the sea...
@ Kynance Cove - I still can't believe this is England 

Marazion
We stayed in Marazion, famous for St Michaels Mount, in a beautiful house with views of the bay.  I've always loved Marazion, seeing that first view of the Mount when we are in the car gives me that warm feeling of nostalgia, and I am so glad that we were able to get a house there so last minute.  One of my favourite things to do in Cornwall is to walk the causeway across to the Mount.  You can walk up to the castle or get an ice cream or just watch the boats bobbing in the water.  

There was a pasty shop just down the road from where we were staying, of course I couldn't resist
St Ives
When we visit Cornwall in the summer, we tend to avoid St Ives because it is always heaving with tourists, which is no surprise due to it's gorgeous beach, cute streets and abundance of cafes and restaurants.  However, we had a great time there in April, eating delicious pasties from Philps Pasty Hatch, having a wander through the back streets, exploring boutiques selling unique homewares, pretending we could afford the £1000+ paintings in the local galleries, having probably one too many ice-creams. We loved wandering St Ives so much that we went back at the end of the week too!

Minack Theatre
In all the years I've been visiting Cornwall, I had never been to the Minack Theatre; a theatre, designed by Rowena Cade, carved into the cliff and overlooking the beautiful Porthcurno Bay.   I loved learning about the history of the theatre, and it really is an impressive sight to see.  I would love to go back one day to watch a performance - whilst we were there they were setting up for the Pirates of the Carabina circus troupe! 


Porthleven
In previous years, we have stayed in Porthleven so we decided to drive over there to have a little walk along the beach.  I love this part of the coastline, seeing the waves crashing against the rocks, the cold breeze, the deep blue sea.  We also grabbed a bag of chips and sat on the harbour wall in the sunshine. There's a delightful deli in Porthleven, The Corner Deli, who make fresh baguettes and paninis, but unfortunately they had a power cut and I had no cash to pay for anything.  I guess I have a reason to go back...


Kynance Cove
Walking down on to the beach at Kynance Cove felt like we were in paradise; the water was so blue, the sun was shining and there was hardly anyone there.  I dare say that this is hardly ever the case, but it was nice to have it pretty much all to ourselves for a little while, cue taking lots of photos and paddling in the, surprisingly, not that cold sea! 

The Lizard
When we arrived at The Lizard, Dad and I pretty much ran to Anne's Pasties, partly because we were starving but also because they are the nicest Cornish pasties ever (this seems to be turning in to a food blog).  After having a little walk on the cliffs - The Lizard is the most southerly point of the UK - and watching seals on the rocks, we popped in to Polpeor Cafe for a little bite to eat.  I had their deluxe hot chocolate and a slice of homemade carrot cake.  This place also does amazing crab sandwiches and a fab Cornish cream tea, the staff are lovely and the views are gorgeous. 


Sanders Fish and Chips, Hayle
We didn't really spend any time in Hayle, but I had to tell you about Sanders Fish and Chips.  As well as offering a typical chip shop takeaway service, they also have a restaurant where you can sit and eat one of the best meals of your life.  Their cod and chips were so delicious and I would 10/10 recommend their onion rings and curry sauce too! We didn't make a reservation, but I would suggest you do to avoid any disappointment. 

We really did have the best time on our week away.  Having spent so much time going abroad the last few years, I had forgotten how nice it is to pack up the car and drive to the seaside.  It was also lovely to spend quality time with family and I hope that we get to go on many more family holidays. I'm trying to get the 4 of them to commit to Florida in 2019 (for when the Star Wars park opens) so I will keep you updated on how that goes...

To see more of what we got up to in Cornwall, be sure to visit my Instagram.

If you would like to know more about where we stayed, then you can visit Cornish Cottage Holidays here!

Thanks for stopping by, 

SHARE:

4 comments

  1. I had never considered it before, but now I definitely want to visit Cornwall some day! It looks absolutely beautiful. You've taken the best pictures, too. :-)

    xoxo
    Freya
    thatgirlyt.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Freya! It's a gorgeous area, you should definitely go! xo

      Delete
  2. OMG Staycations are defo the way forward! I can't believe thats in the UK.. the pasty looks so delicious.. I'm glad you have a lovely time and btw all these pics are stunning!

    Ronnie
    www.veronicabizzarri.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really felt like we were in some exotic location especially at Kynance Cove! The pasty was heavenly! Thanks so much hun!
      xo

      Delete

© Oh Six Eleven. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig